Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Phase one... Honeymoon

6-30-10 @ 9:45pm

I’m looking forward to the memories of right now…

We’ve arrived. We waited on the runway in Atlanta for two hours because other connecting flights were delayed and they wanted to make sure our flight was full. I managed to watch three movies on the way over. That could possibly be the best part about flying so far.

The smell was refreshing when I exited the plane in Accra. A mix of humidity, heat, burning brush, and natural must. When I entered the shuttle to the terminal I was reminded of Jamie Foxx retelling Richard Prior’s joke about being in Africa and the scents. If you haven’t heard it, look it up on youtube.

We’re staying in East Legon, which is about 10 minutes from the capitol, Accra. Everyone feels like they are on Real world. The house is amazing! We’re definitely spoiled. Marble tiles on the floor, huge rooms, and air conditioning, things that we definitely didn’t expect. Our host is the Aya Centre (www.ayacentre.com)

Most of us are already in the honeymoon phase. Excited to be here and ready to explore. Maybe even foolishly as we are in a pretty secluded area. Others are exhausted, in bed right now, at 4:45pm Minnesota time. Tomorrow the day starts bright and early with an orientation to the Aya Centre and a tour of Accra and the University of Ghana. Our hosts are Sonny and Alex. They are both 24. I’ve been asking a lot of questions about how the operation here works and keen about learning more. I’ll share as details come along.

Yesterday, pre-departure, my brother gave me great advice: he told me to be eager to listen rather thinking about my next sentence. I suppose that is difficult for someone that loves to talk. But now it is my challenge. I was also reminded how I extremely blessed I am to be here. I cannot thank a higher power enough. The blessing of traveling to 3 continents and 6 countries around the world is not even a thought in many peoples’ lives my age.

Well, off to walk around the neighborhood. I’ll try and be better about grammar, thanks to Ms. Walters. ☺

The life and times of amo…

1 comment: